Yay! I’ve been published in a textbook. (Sorry about the tiny picture- I can’t find a larger one.) The book is called Opposing Viewpoints: Church and State (publisher’s page, Amazon page, and WorldCat entry), and is part of Greenhaven Press‘s Opposing Viewpoints series, which are used in high school and college courses.

I haven’t yet seen a copy of the book itself, but I found its table of contents (.pdf) this morning, and seeing this made me smile:

(The article was originally published in 2009 as “School voucher programs are both ineffective and dangerous“)

A few months ago, I made a note in my to-do list app reminding me to check and see if the book had been published, but that reminder wasn’t scheduled until next week, so it was a nice surprise to find a check from the publisher waiting in my mailbox when I got home last night.

Although I’ve written quite a few articles/reviews/interviews/etc. for various publications (both print and online) over the past ten years or so, this is the first time that my writing has been part of a book, and I’m pretty excited about that. :)

18 Responses to Yay! I’ve been published in a textbook

1. Joe Norman says:

Congratulations, that’s quite an achievement!

2. TR says:

Congratulations!

3. Frank says:

I am happy for you.

4. Like Charles Dickens ~ you may soon need a devoted assistant to constantly cut and sharpen your nibs :)

Well done !

5. Pete Moulton says:

Congratulations, Miranda!

6. MrPickwick says:

Congratulations!

Now… more!

7. whyevolutionistrue says:

Congrats! May you have many more.

–Professor Ceiling Cat

8. stephen s says:

Outstanding Miranda! Real money, from thinking and then writing about those thoughts!! What a refreshing twist on today’s prevalent trends. Nowadays, most conservative people receive their checks, in the same envelope with “their thoughts” and then they write them down.

9. Ant Allan says:

Congratumalations, Miranda!

/@

10. Joseph Ziehm says:

Congrats, that really needed to be printed or else we fall right back into the loops of religious tyranny. As a Christian poet the Church and SBC have built itself upon being a strongly united Monarchy; worshiping the signs of the dollar bill. Breaking the public school unions and forcing us back against the wall or simply falling to a knee and kneeling to the Church. Of, course the “I suffer not a woman to teach” (I Timothy 2:9-12) line from the New Testament is not God breathed in my opinion but rather a glimpse into Christianity with misogynistic undertones. Imagine, though how many young impressionable women will be attacked with that, which should not have been written as it is purely written by the hand of man.

Arms of war
    On bloody fields where young men die and politicians lie
    To the arms of the spoils are the victors; a killing always in market
    Guns are never silent in war and nor are they ignored
    Profit, profit, profit war is not the threshing floor

Oh, but to behold the violence and the ignorance
    All wars are stated as holy but most are a benefit
    To the cold doldrums of thousands of coins or dollars
    What profits now do wars have to you?

The Church

It holds a position as the mighty forge of young souls
    When those souls depart to heavenly grace
    They are named and interned to the church
    What does it mean then to transcend the physical?

Leaving the earthly realm of all cares
    To continue on in the spirit form
    Watching perhaps those who loved you
    All the while wrapped not in physical form but celestial guile

For the church and for belief have brought you that form
    Protected you from the cold harsh rein of hell
    All the while you are protected and remembered
    Loved in the physical as well as the celestial

Yet, where it all begins is the church
    In rhyming meters and in hymns
    For who can but take the establishment?
    When this the church is what looks after you

11. Grania Spingies says:

Congratulations, Miranda.
    Make it the first of many!

12. Thanks so much, everyone! I really appreciate the kind words :)

• Joseph Ziehm says:

You keep writing against suffering and the hypocritical Church and I’ll keep going at them as a Christian poet for selling war and profit as an indulgence of the early Roman-Catholic philosophy. It’s easy for them to want the wall broken down, when it is not their sons or daughters finding, and they want women as chattel and dominated by that mindset.

• Joseph Ziehm says:

When it is not their sons or daughters fighting. They want the walls broken down to reimplemented all of the Draconian practices against women. As a Christian the influence game of the Churches is creating a monarchy based on half-truths, lies, deceits, and petty war games.

13. “Kind words” sell people cheap. You’re in my Google Reader because

** you wrote Against Suffering
    ** your primitive photography is damn good

I’m waiting for more of both

14. Derek Murphy says:

Congratulations – looks great!

15. Manuel says:

Great article to make your entrance in to textual immortality.
    Keep it up!!!