Overnight, the trees above my porch went from drab to wonderfully, vibrantly, gorgeously autumn-yellow. I was in such a rush to get to the gym this morning that I didn’t notice them until I returned. When I did, I looked up and gasped, as the change was so sudden, dramatic, and beautiful:

I love autumn: the beautiful colors, the chilly (but not too cold) weather, the apple cider, the coziness, wearing sweaters and boots and scarves again, etc. Unfortunately, in this area, our autumns are often all too brief and fleeting. Oh well. I’ll delight in it while it lasts. Like all seasons, autumn is ephemeral, fleeting, and temporary. There’s something different and unique about autumn’s evanescence, though. It’s more poignant than the others. It’s lovelier, more intense.

On that note, here’s a gorgeous and bittersweet autumn-themed poem from Carl Sandburg. It’s called “Autumn Movement“:

I cried over beautiful things knowing no beautiful thing lasts.

The field of cornflower yellow is a scarf at the neck of the copper sunburned woman,
the mother of the year, the taker of seeds.

The northwest wind comes and the yellow is torn full of holes, new beautiful things
come in the first spit of snow on the northwest wind, and the old things go,
not one lasts.

Au vent mauvais
    Qui m’emporte
    Deçà, delà
    Pareil à la
    Feuille morte.

Paul VERLAINE

Autumn song, by Verlaine, a classic poem among french poems and one of my favorites :) !

2. Michael Fisher says:

Perfect post. Your words, pics & poetry choice fit each other so well & also (as it happens) my mood. Ta very much!

3. Carlos says:

Impressed!… Beautifull!

4. Justin Chapman says:

The inside sitters early and late afternoon,
    unpaced and women-couple,
    gesturing and in the quiet,
    sharing faces.

Outward on the day,
    not a single watcher.
    Upwards of the facade
    that is as detailed as a ground;
    upwards where flap and boomerang pigeons;
    upwards the cityhall.
    None inspect the grey pregnancy with any wonder.

Though the green is a lush bunch downward;
    downward drop the fumbling,
    the pieces of their paper lives.

Bicycles of them bell by
    the benches sky-reflecting.

5. Andrew Hughes says:

Nice. It is a brilliant fall afternoo here on Orcas Island.

6. Lovely! nice to see the sun light! bring out the color,s use to live right next to a woodland and each Autum it was beautifull as in the Spring and summer miss that Flat! nice were i am now 500 meters from a park but still beautifull! nice to take a walk! and listen to the birds peacefull! Nice poem too!
    Karoly

7. Ugg! my name twice!? :) ha ha ha!

8. Ed Dietrich says:

“That country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay…That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain.”
    – Ray Bradbury
    Sadly, here in NYC it is still green and remarkably lush for late October.

9. surrealblend says:

The most literary of seasons.

10. Steve Zara says:

The second picture is particularly gorgeous!

11. Bryan Atneosen says:

Hi Miranda, I loved your description of the activities and clothing change. As you said, the changing seasons should be embraced as much as possible. Thanks for posting, Bryan

12. Seth says:

Totally agree. There’s a particular “contemplativeness” to autumn…a certain seriousness of some sort.

13. pete says:

Lovely post.

14. […] has arrived. Ugh. I was hoping that lovely autumn would stick around a while longer. Ah, well. On the bright side, snowy trees are quite […]