Yeah, yeah, I know. Herman Cain’s latest campaign ad is funny and ridiculous and bizarre. But it doesn’t hold a candle to my favorite campaign ad of all time, 2008 presidential candidate Mike Gravel‘s “Rock”. Seriously, it might be the best video in the history of videos. It’s epic. Every second of it is wonderfully insane and hilarious. And has there ever been a clearer, more powerful, or more nuanced elucidation of a candidate’s political positions? I think not! Step aside, Cain. Let Gravel show you how true crazy is done:

29 Responses to The best campaign ad of all time

1. Justicar says:

Wow. The climax there. I did NOT see that one coming. He is a master of a build up, with a twist.

2. james graves says:

The ravens liked it too.

3. Mason Foley says:

Wait…what? I feel like I just stared at a creepy man staring at me through my iPad (window).

4. Stan B. says:

Well, for humor factor maybe but otherwise….this ad for Gravel is just ridiculous, just like Cain’s dumb ad. The 1964 LBJ “Daisy Picker” ad against Goldwater is by far the best. Brilliant and accurate piece of work. Obama should run something much like this next year, use a pastiche of the (R) candidates jabbering about “socialism”, cheering the death of uninsured, blaming the poor for poverty, attacking homosexuals, cheering executions, saying we should leave troops in Iraq, etc. etc. and then have a huge bomb explode at the end. Johnson’s ads prompted the largest % voter turnout for an election in the 20th century, by scaring the shit out of everybody.

5. Reminds me of a quote by Dana Carvey, acting as the 1991 presidential candidate, H. Ross Perot, and referring to his VP nominee, Admiral James Bond Stockdale…. ( really, Bond is his middle name ) :
    “The way he stood there, not responding to all that was going on, that’s a man of deep thought! Worrrrrld Class!”

6. Reed Esau says:

It’s better when slowing it down to 1/4 speed!

7. dwighttowers says:

That’s Zen and the art of political campaigning, that is.

8. blueollie says:

The difference: Cain actually LEADS in a few polls (I know; it won’t last) whereas no one at any time took Gravel seriously.

9. It has impressed me.
    I’d definitely vote for that rock!

10. Something Bergman-esque about it. The pain. The sorrow. The rock. So many layers.

11. Clearly, Gravel understands John Cage on a deep level.

12. Dan says:

Was this a teaser trailer for the next M. Night Shyamalan film? I need to book him as the opening act for my band, rock on Mr. Gravel, rock on.

13. Mark says:

Reminds me of something from a David Lynch movie.

14. Karoly Feher says:

Ha ha ha! i,m sure i could hear the Penguin laugthing in the back ground! and my that was a BIG piece of GRAVEL toss in! its such ashame politicians here in the UK wer,nt as creative ha ha ha! and kept there mouths shut as well !!! :)

15. dpomeroy says:

For a moment, I thought I was watching an Andy Warhol “screen test”.

16. Chris Paris says:

LOL! Well Gravel certainly appears (in this ad anyway) to have taken the advice that MANY of the current crop of candidates probably should:

“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.”

17. …what was he even doing?

18. My favorite campaign moment was when he admitted that his economic plan wasn’t going to pass, so why bother talking about it?

Then he followed up by trying to get the Libertarian party nomination. His universal health care package didn’t go over well with them.

19. Russ Hudson says:

The greatest thing that could ever happen in politics now would be for Gravel to run again with Quayle as his running mate. Ah, I can just see it now . . .

20. daithidublin says:

Bizzare. I just watched a video of Gravel explaining his ‘Rock’ video. That was pretty funny. He had no clue what he was doing. The ‘kids’ making the video told him what to do. When it got attention and he was invited to do some interviews he *then* decided that he needed to figure out just what he was doing.