From the Guardian:

The archbishop of Canterbury [has] described his faith as a ‘silent waiting on the truth, pure sitting and breathing in the presence of the question mark’.

Dear Mark “Holy RabbitVernon and Karen Armstrong,

I regret to inform you that, as of today, you are no longer the co-holders of the award for Best Apophatic Theology Bullshit Artist.

You have both shown yourselves, time and time again, to be worthy of the title; however, Rowan Williams, the archbishop of Canterbury, has recently taken apophatic theology to new and glorious heights, and must be justly rewarded for his achievement.

If you would like to congratulate Archbishop Williams, you can find him on a park bench, sitting next to a large man dressed as a question mark, breathing and waiting for God.

Yours in the unknowable ineffable mysterious question that is God,

Thomas Aquinas

_____________

(Originally posted here)

8 Responses to Rowan Williams + the question mark = best friends forever

1. Rowan Williams just DEFINED “ineffable” better than even Gaiman and Pratchett COMBINED did.

He is a master.

2. karolyrfeher says:

Very cany! as for relgious bull shoite nothing just a pack of lies! power seeking hippocrits!money making biggots!

3. Ron Krumpos says:

Thomas Aquinas wrote “All that I have written seems to me like straw compared with what has now been revealed to me.”
    Note: After experiencing divine union, he abandoned writing Summa Theologiae.

4. Functional Atheist says:

Someone dressed as a large question mark should start appearing at the Archbishop’s public events. He/she might carry a sign with instructions: “Sit and breathe purely in My presence, as you silently wait on My truth.”

5. Cain says:

I once watched Karen Armstrong share a stage with Hitchens. It was painful to watch. I wanted to give the poor lady a hug when Hitch was done with her.

6. pete says:

I really want that cat, and a car, and a special carseat. So that it can sit in the passenger side and look at cars we’re passing like it is in the pic.

7. Dan says:

Always good for a chuckle the old God-Womble.