Reading Eliot‘s “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

17 Responses to Reading T.S. Eliot’s “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”

1. Mason Foley says:

“Streets that follow like a tedious argument
    Of insidious intent…”

Love. It.

2. drlarson6 says:

I am so immersed in biology I hardly have time for poetry. Thank you!

3. Doug Larson says:

Ashamed to admit that all I know of this poem is from a snippet quoted by Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now!

4. Doug Larson says:

lkjlkjklj

5. Doug Larson says:

Sorry about the above meaningless posting! I was fooling with my profile…

6. one of my favorites from T.S. Eliot :D

“Time for you and time for me,
    And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
    And for a hundred visions and revisions”

great lines :D

7. Richard says:

beautiful!

8. My favorite Eliot poem. You read it nicely.

I wrote a short story once about a young college-aged guy who has an intense crush on a classmate, and I utilized this poem in the story. I have connected this poem to that feeling of longing and regret, so very much.

When I read it now, the voice in my head wants to read it at a tempo that slowly gets faster, almost as if with a sense of urgency. And recently, I had this thought that I could see an actor like Robert Downey Jr. play the character in this poem, and reciting certain lines like “”That is not what I meant at all;
    That is not it, at all.””

9. David Evans says:

Very nice. I loved the way you paused for “I do not think that they will sing to me” and for “and we drown”.

10. karolyrfeher says:

Wonderfull Miranda! Well worth the wait :) beautifully read! pretty dress by the way! :)
    Karoly

11. Robert Gertz says:

I remember Richard Kiley read it during his “Verse Person Singular” show years ago on PBS, with top hat and nervous look…He was J Alfred to perfection. And yours a beautiful reading.

12. karolyrfeher says:

Hi i see a new angle when it comes if needed for P for music,never rub left eye after new curry experiment! i suffer friend delight! it was nice with vino 2 … now time sleep..:)

13. Thanks for the kind comments, everyone :) I really appreciate it

14. Sean Kelly says:

That was lovely. But why did you skip the epigraph? To me, it’s a vital part of the poem and establishes its (admittedly ironic) context.

(And, selfishly, I would’ve loved to have heard your Italian!)

• Thanks, Sean. And yes, I agree about its importance. I skipped it only because I would have absolutely butchered the Italian :) French, I can do. Italian, not so much. Maybe someday!

15. Seth says:

“I am no prophet–and here’s no great matter;
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker;
    And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.”

Who better than Eliot could encapsulate insecurity in the modern world?
    Amazing that a twenty-year-old kid (his age at the time of writing) could write with such wisdom.